Runaway Twin by Peg Kehret


     3.5 stars


Thirteen-year-old Sunny Skyland's life wasn't all sunshine and rainbows.  All she ever wanted was a real home to call her own.  Left without parents since the age of three, she had been traded between her relatives, treated as if she were a burden, mistreated and abandoned, while being shifted from one foster home to another.  It seemed that she would never have a real family that loved her.  True, her latest foster home wasn't THAT terrible.  Rita was a little annoying and strict - always wanting Sunny to eat gross healthy foods and exercise.  If that weren't enough, she had even forbidden Sunny to eat her favorite foods:  nachos, snickers, and the ultimate goody - Twinkies.  Rita did seem to care somewhat, though, and had even decorated a bedroom for Sunny that looked like it was actually made for a teen.  Rita, though, wasn't family....


Just when Sunny was beginning to lose hope, fate intervened in the form of an abandoned backpack....a backpack that contained hundreds of dollars!  Sunny knew then what she had to do.  Night after night, Sunny had studied the old photograph she still had - the picture that was taken so long ago before her parents had died.  Sunny knew she wasn't alone in the world.  She had a twin sister named Starr!  Now was her chance to travel back to her hometown and search for her long-lost sister, reclaim the only family she had left...


She never imagined then that the venture to find Starr could ultimately cost Sunny her life.


 Suspenseful story with an ending which will make the reader reconsider the true meanings of "home" and "family"...

14 comments:

  1. I think this is an okay book. I mean its not all that exciting like I thought it was going to be. Her foster care parent (Rita) is boring . I could not live with her! I like how she adopted that dog (Snickers). I guess the most exciting part about this book is the tornado part. One top tiger book down four more to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Runaway Twin was better than I thought it would be. I just grabbed it to be done with my top tiger books, but I finished it in a few hours, as it got really good towards to middle where Sunny picks up the dog. I wish her twin could've been a little more cooperative though. This book was half bad, and I recommend it to people who want a nice short thrill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Runaway Twin because the author used good details. You could always understand what he wanted or did not want you to know. This book has a long road till you reach the climax and finally when youget there it is not exactly what you expected. In this book Sky is trying to find her twin sister. She grew up mostly in a chain of foster homes and finally has found one she actually enjoys staying at. When she unexpectedly finds enough money she knows that this is her chance. But when she arrives she realizes that maybe having her dream come true may not be a happy ending. I recommend this book greatly, if your like me, then you would enjoy ths book a lot. I only have 3 books to go and excited for more fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Runaway Twin was beter than i expected it to be!i'm so glad i bought the book ! i was kinda shocked on sunny's sister,starr's reaction when she saw sunny after so many years, i thought maybe she would have remembered her and they would have a heart felt reunion. i love sunny's courage and determination and her big heart! Peg kehret is a great quthor and even though the ending didn't turn out how i thought it would it still was a really good ending!! so far i have to say Runaway Twin is my favorite Top Tiger book !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked runaway twin because the author used good details. The book is very intresting because you think one thing will happen then something else will and so what you think allways changes during the book. Sunny has to go through many trubbles in this book and she has many times where she has to lie about who she is and what she is doing. She gets a bag of money which is why she can make the trip happen then in a tornato happens and she loses it. but then at the end she gets it and she has the dog with a man that is keeping it and then at the end what you thnk will happend with them being happy dosnt happen. I really enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer Ramos-LopezNovember 7, 2011 at 4:57 AM

    Runaway twin is such an amazing book. It surprised me when Sunny when all the way to Washington just to find her twin sister. Even i wouldn't do that. When She finally found her Starr she really wished that didn't.even though starr's parents wanted to adopted sunny she decided she wanted to stay with rita because she knew that was her true home were she should be and since rita wanted a dog she went to go get Snickers at charleys house. Peg kehret really know how to make a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought Runaway Twin was a very well rounded book...I thought it could have had a better ending though. It was so weird, I was hoping that the sisters were going to reunite and everyone was going to tbe happy but none of that happend..I was sort of dissapinted but i thought he did a very nice job with making the book very suspencefull and fun! The dog seemed so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love thia book i read it in class last week and finid=shed it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Runaway Twin is a great book! I loved it a bunch. I like how Sunny still has feelings for her twin that was separated from her. This was a high energy book for sure! All I did that day was read it cover to cover in 1 hour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book!! I was a little mad when Starr didn't like Sunny and didn't even know she exsisted... BUT I LOVE PEG KEHERT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. man i wish starr wished the same things sunny died all that hard work for nothing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this book i loved the heartbreak and loneliness, but i also loved the hapiness and excitment. It touched me soo much that i actualy cried in the beginning middle and end. It was Far beyond what i expected it to be, thiugh i still don't understand the front cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your books they are awesome.!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Five words: I LOVE THE RUNAWAY TWIN! It has suspense, fun and friendship, and all the best qualities of a book. it's for all ages, and I have to say, it's made my top 5 books! Oh yeah, 2 more words, AWESOME BOOK!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete