Opening Discussion

reveal8.jpg 

Theme: Feeling like an outsider/the importance of "fitting in"


http://www.adl.org/education/

 


Russell states on page 3 of The Revealers:

"…when seventh grade started I found out I was out. It was like everyone else took a secret summer course in how to act, what to say, and what groups to be in, and I never found out about it." (Page 3)

"I wanted people to say, "Hey, Russell! Sit with us!" But I'd open my mouth and what would come out would be loud and clanky and wrong. And they would give me that quick, flat, puzzled stare that is the stock weapon of the cool seventh grader and seems to ask, "What species are you, exactly?" And I would go away thinking I was hopeless." (Page 3)

Russell describes feeling "out" and "hopeless."

Do you think he is the only seventh grader who feels this way? What feelings and experiences might Russell have in common with his peers?

9 comments:

  1. he is not the only one being picked on in the seventh grade, because his friend was being bullied to

    ReplyDelete
  2. No because there are alot of bullies in a school. There is also alot of targets to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO,there are others that are bein picked on in the seventh grade.
    He might feel hurt.And feel like the only target in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think this book is a very good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't think he is the only seventh grader that feel that way, because other peolpe are usally getting picked on

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think That He should say anything .

    ReplyDelete
  7. AT D.R. HILL THERE IS A LOT OF BULLING. THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE THAT ARE TARGETED AND OTHERS THAT I WOULD THINK THAT THEY DONT FIT IN. IN THIS SCHOOL I DONT THINK THAT THEY STAND THAT HARD ON THIS PROBLEM.WHEN I COME IN EVERYDAY BULLING IS ALL YOU SEE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY. I THINK DR HILL NEEDS TO WATCH MORE OUT ABOUT BULLING.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda wilson hater100March 5, 2008 at 3:08 AM

    I really dont think that any one need to get bett by other people. If i was one i would put an stop to all of the fighting other people then i go help the other kid's

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know russel isn't the only seventh grader this way because there is a ton of bullying and tight groups who think there supior.

    ReplyDelete