Crossing the Wire by Will Hobbs

 

 wire.jpg

 

 3-floaty-stars.jpg   3.5 stars - Grabbed my attention start to finish

Author Will Hobbs visited DR Hill in 2004.  He is such a down-to-earth, nice guy who clearly has a passion for writing.  I read several of his books in preparation of the author visit.  My favorite was Jackie's Wild Seattle.  Now my favorite is Crossing the Wire. Hobbs is an adventurer and a lover of nature - both of these personality traits are reflected in his novels.  Some of his books contain lengthy descriptions of the setting - personally I find that tough to follow as a reader.  Crossing the Wire, however, is more action-packed and suspenseful. Victor is only 15 years old.  Despite being young, he must grow up quickly and become a man.  Now that Victor's father is deceased, his family depends on him for their survival.  In Mexico, there are limited opportunities for children born to poor families.  Victor tries to save the family's corn crop, their sole source of income, but falling prices and outside competitors leave his family penniless and facing starvation. Victor must do the impossible - "Cross the wire" from Mexico to the United States in order to find work.  This is his family's last hope.  Victor is determined to come to America - even at the risk of his own life. Readers will be amazed at the hardship Victor faces on his journey.  Hobbs spares no punches on how difficult the voyage is - near starvation, physical exhaustion, failed attempts resulting in deportation, extreme heat/cold, dodging bullets, betrayals, poisonous snakebites (and these are only a few events in the story).  What impresses me most about this novel is that it makes the reader think.  This is a reminder of how fortunate Americans are - and also gives you a different perspective of why people enter our country illegally. Highly recommended 

  

11 comments:

  1. At first i really didn’t think i would enjoy this book but once I got into it, I couldn’t put it down. We were required to read this bok for school and I am glad i was becase if it wasnt required i probley would of never picked up this book! I RECOMENED THIS BOOK TO ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. at first I did not thank iwould like book but now I love it cause Victor tryes to help his family by crossing the border and getting a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. best book i ever read in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i thought this book was gonna be boring. But at the end i thougth it was sad of how Rico came all the way over there and took him so long and he had to leave his BFF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i thought it would be boring, too, but then i started reading and now i was so sad when the book ended T_T. im happy that victor ended up making money and helping his family, though

    ReplyDelete
  6. i thought it would be boring, too, but then i started reading and now i was so sad when the book ended T_T. im happy that victor ended up making money and helping his family, though. i want him to visit brookings, south dakota

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love This Book Is One Of The Best Books I Have Read(:

    ReplyDelete
  8. you people who think that this is one of the best books you have ever read must of never read any other books, cuz this isnt THAT great of a book, its good, but not how you guys describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in Colorado and I also had to read this book. It wasn't my type of book, but if you are looking for something worth your time I would definitely choose recommend this book.

    P.S
    GO EMS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This Book Is Amazing, Best Book Ive Ever Read! Guaranted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it, i use this book for my project

    ReplyDelete