Blood on the River: James Town 1607 by Elisa Carbone

bloodonriver.jpg

 

 

fourstars6.jpg 4 stars - Great book 

I discovered Blood on the River: James Town 1607  by Elisa Carbone two years ago and loved reading this book.  I was very happy to see it on the South Carolina Junior Book Award nominee list for this year.  Though this book is classified as fiction, it contains many true events that occurred during the Jamestown settlement. 

The story focuses on eleven- year- old Samuel Collier, a page to Captain John Smith, who decided to travel to the New World.  An orphan who likes to use his fists, Samuel felt like he had nothing to lose by embarking on this journey.  The adventure he encountered, however, was beyond anything he ever could imagine.  You may be thinking…”Oh great…another book about Jamestown.”  This book is very different, however.  The details give the reader insight into other people who were key to the Jamestown settlement, beyond Captain John Smith.  To me, the best part of this book is the view of  Native American culture and daily life.  The book is suspenseful, interesting, and historically accurate. 

15 comments:

  1. I have just finished reading Blood on The Rive, by Elisa Carbone. This book is great.I would recomend it to anyone who loves histroy or adventure.I give it a 100!!!!!!! it was awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was very historical. I would recamened this book to anyone who likes socail studys

    ReplyDelete
  3. blood in the river byelisa carbone was very goood it was about when the pieaners came to america and the natives were very scared of them attacking them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Reading this book for school and i Love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. tks for the effort you put in here I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is really interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading Blood on the River and i hate reading but i can't stop reading it is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was cool to see what it was like in the 1607!

    ReplyDelete
  9. im reading this book at school , and i love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love reading this book, i did this book on a report and i did really good! this book was the best book i ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book was the best book I read about history of James Town. I've been to James Town and now I know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this book for a book group and I LOVE IT the author is amazing!!! Read this book no matter what

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading this book and it is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dont like history that much, but this book brought history to life. And this is WAYYYY better than reading a textbook.

    ReplyDelete